Category: Community

Gallagher’s Farm Market: Traverse City, MI

PA091577

This time of year I have a hard time saying “NO” to pumpkin-anything. It starts with the first gust of a clean, brisk fall wind where I fall prey to the first pumpkin spice latte of the season. I’m not a big fan of sweet flavors in my coffee. I like it bold, black and in a ceramic mug. But again, with pumpkin, its a different story and I can’t say no.

Continue reading

New Season, New Beginnings

photo
A photo captured of me by one of our customers at the Sara Hardy Farmers Market

I’ve been really busy lately. Not just my normal busy: from the full-time job to managing the local farmers markets, and the average day to day necessities. But now I’m really busy. Busy spending my time doing MORE of something I love. Over the past month I’ve been working with Michigan Land Use Institute as the Intern for their “Taste the Local Difference” (TLD) program. A program with the mission, to sell more local food.

Continue reading

Red Barn Yoga: Birch Point Farm

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Birch Point Farm is located on the Leelanau Peninsula between West Grand Traverse Bay and Lake Leelanau. It is a truly magical place, well-tended by my friend, Michelle Farrarese. I hold a dear place in my heart for this farm as it became my sanctuary to let the sun shine on my back, quietly reflect and dig my hands in the dirt after a long day in the office.

Continue reading

Garden Fresh Kale and Brussel Sprout Salad

photo

It doesn’t get much better than a Northern Michigan summer. In July and August there is no where else I’d rather be.  The fresh water lakes, gorgeous beaches and plentiful barbecues keep me tied to the shoreline snacking on fresh fruit until my fingers (and inevitably my white skirt) are died a deep red or purplish hue. I cant get enough of the fresh fruit scene you’ll find at local farmers markets this time of year. From blackberries, tart cherries, peaches, blueberries, raspberries and more, I’ll stuff my belly and my freezer to the brim.

Continue reading

2013 Winemakers Party: Traverse City, MI

P6211530

The Traverse City Wine & Art Festival celebrated its fifth successful year this past weekend, expanding the event’s reach in more ways than one. With increased participation and the Festival’s relaxed, expansive layout to the addition of an exclusive Friday night “Winemakers Party”; the Festival grew immensely this year and that growth was very well-received.

Continue reading

Raised Beds

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Before

Lets just say, It’s been a process to get my backyard into working condition. We purchased the house last October and immediately knew we had a space with incredible potential. The 50 x 50 backyard lot is a city dwellers dream garden, but the landscaping (or lack there of) was underwhelming and it was left seriously overgrown, with a jungle of weeds, vines, and untended brush to clear.

Continue reading

BLTs and Carrot Apple Slaw

IMG_0208

Simple.

After a long work day, I dream of the word simple. A dish with few ingredients and one that takes only minutes to prepare. Dinner, in this case, was a gathering of laid-back ladies; Myself, my boyfriends mother Susan and her dear friend Tracey. We spent the late afternoon drinking red wine and discussing how to make a new house into a new home. Both Tracey and I are recent new homeowners and thus the topics of discussion ranged from paint colors and shag carpets to our love of woodstoves.

Continue reading

Book Club and a Carrot, Red Lentil Soup

429621_695115571023_1891205288_n

I love books, and book clubs are a great place to gather for book lovers. Throughout my life I’ve always made time for reading and I truly enjoy fantastical and fiction-themed stories that take me away to another world. When a new friend suggested a Book Club with a gathering of like-minds and plenty of food and drinks, there was no way I could miss it.  I couldn’t think of a better way to explore stories with engaging conversation. Plus, the opportunity to get to know new friends who clearly share my interests was an opportunity worth taking. We’ve since filled the cold months with warm fires, four great reads and plenty of conversation on and off the topics of the books themselves.

Continue reading

Growth by the Season

© Growth by the Season. All rights reserved.